jump to content

jump to navigation

Sugar factory Artern

Overview

NameZuckerfabrik Artern von Böving, Lüttich & Comp.
Founded1865
Decommissioned1991
FoundersChief bailiff Böving, Artern
Chief bailiff Lüttich, Gehofen
Bailiff Frank, Artern
Mayor Schäfer, Artern
Bailiff Wichmann, Voigtstedt
Brickyard owner Walter, Artern
Economist Hoffmann, Kalbsried
Type of companyOffene Handelsgesellschaft (general partnership)
VEB (nationally-owned enterprise)
Images of factory 1865/1982.
1865
Formation of Zuckerfabrik Artern by Böving, Lüttich & Comp. oHG. The first beets are processed in autumn.
1875/76
Switch to diffusion process.
1892
Large fire causes considerable damage in the sugar factory. Promissory notes are issued to fund the repairs. The debts are redeemed until 1904.
Sugar assortment from the factory in Artern.
1965
Formation of nationally-owned enterprise (VEB) “Zuckerkombinat Unstrut-Helme“ based in Artern with sugar factories in Artern, Roßleben, Oberröblingen, Vitzenburg, Oldisleben and Straußfurt.
It becomes the third biggest sugar company in the German Democratic Republic after Güstrow and Delitzsch.
1967
The sugar factory Walschleben is allocated to the VEB.
1990
Switch from boiler heating to hard coal.
1991
Shutdown of the plant after the last campaign.