Sugar factory Regensburg
First Regensburg sugar factory (1837-1887): Gesellschaft für Zuckerfabrication [company for sugar fabrication]
This early sugar factory is the first to establish the tradition of sugar producers in Regensburg. However, it is in no way associated with Bayerische Zuckerfabrik Regensburg [Bavarian Regensburg sugar factory], a Zuckerfabrik Frankenthal factory. The latter becomes one of the founding sites of Süddeutsche Zucker-Aktiengesellschaft. The former is founded by sixteen shareholders and has a share capital of 30,000 guilders. The factory does not commence operations until three years later.
Industrialist Friedrich Joseph Fikentscher acquires the factory.
The Süddeutsche Zuckerfabriken branch is founded, comprising sugar factories in Böblingen, Stuttgart, Heilbronn, Züttlingen, Altshausen, Waghäusel, Friedensau and Frankenthal.
The first Regensburg sugar factory is shut down due to ongoing financial difficulties. Two years later, the city of Regensburg purchases the property and builds a courthouse on the site.
Second Regensburg sugar factory (1899-2007)
Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis, the Puricelli family of landowners, Pfälzer Bank in Ludwigshafen, together with financiers Max Weinschenk and Gustav Thalmessinger found Bayerische Zucker AG with an initial share capital of 1.3 million marks. Prince von Thurn und Taxis holds an interest of 38.4 % and provides the building site.
Later that same year, the company establishes a health insurance plan, registers the trademark at the Imperial Patent Office and the sugar factory begins its first beet sugar campaign.
Section from a view of the factory around 1910, prepared by Leipzig-based art academy, Eckert & Pflug.
The Aktiengesellschaft converts to a GmbH. During this transition, Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis increases his stake in the company to 64 %.
Around the same time, a housing development is built for the factory's workers.
The remaining shareholders sell their shares and Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis becomes the sole proprietor of the sugar factory.
A major fire caused by exploding sugar dust shuts down the factory. Operations do not resume until two months after the accident.
The prince runs into significant financial difficulty as a result of war-related property losses. He sells the sugar factory to Ungarische Verkehrsbank Budapest AG [Hungarian bank]. The bank sells the Regensburg factory to Hamburg-based Warenhandelsgesellschaft mbH. A year later, Zuckerfabrik Frankenthal buys the facility. Due to the uncertainty surrounding the sugar factory, the company health insurance plan is liquidated and the local health insurance fund becomes responsible for the insured persons.
Sugar package with the emblems of the founding factories.
Merger with Süddeutsche Zucker-Aktiengesellschaft: The Regensburg factory, a branch factory of Zuckerfabrik Frankenthal, becomes one of the founding factories. Even though a central sales office is established at headquarters in Mannheim, the Regensburg factory continues to have its own sales office.
Production numbers grow: "Outstanding growth, especially at Zuckerfabrik Regensburg, which for many years had been a headache for Prince von Thurn und Taxis and later Zuckerfabrik Frankenthal. Zuckerfabrik Regensburg, which until 1926 had never processed more than 500,000 quintals (1 quintal = 100 kg) of beets annually, was able to produce 3 million quintals in 1930. At this point in time, this level is higher than any other factory in Germany has ever achieved."
American troops occupy the factory and seize the sugar warehouse.
The executive board initiates an investment program to boost daily capacity by 50 %.
1952 - 1957
In addition to the regular fall/winter sugar beet campaign processing, the factory refines cane sugar from Cuba during the summer months.
Schliersee vacation home.
Regensburg factory workers volunteer their time to build a vacation home in Probstbichl am Schliersee.
Light-hearted job guessing.
Südzucker consolidates sugar sales of its three Bavarian factories.
Southern regional directors for beets and animal feed headquartered in Regensburg.
Johann Brunner, a sugar cooking machine operator from Regensburg, appears on the German TV show "Heiteres Beruferaten mit Robert Lembke" [light-hearted job guessing with host Robert Lembke].
Accident prevention pilot project launched.
Biogas plant built in conjunction with the modernization of the wastewater treatment plants.
Zuckerfabrik Regensburg begins sponsoring the factory in Delitzsch.
Deutsche Telekom advertisements feature Zuckerfabrik Regensburg and its employees.
After 698 days without a workplace accident, Südzucker AG's Sicherheits-Wanderpokal [wandering safety cup] goes to the Regensburg factory.
Anniversary sugar package.
Zuckerfabrik Regensburg celebrates one hundredth anniversary.
Beet processing and sugar production operations shut down. The Ferdinand Schmack jun. GmbH purchases the property and develops the Candis quarter.
HÄUßLER, Theodor: Zucker aus Regensburg [sugar from Regensburg]. 150 Jahre Geschichte der süßen Kristalle in Bayern [150-year history of the sweet crystal in Bavaria] Kallmünz 2011.
POHL, Manfred: Die Geschichte der Südzucker AG. München 2001 [the history of Südzucker AG, Munich 2001].